Monday, September 2, 2019

What's On My Mind - Undergarments

I'm taking a bit of a break from doll sewing and allowing myself some time to think about
  • what level do I want to take my doll sewing to
  • what do I want to make next
  • how am I going to deal with the inventory I have
As I put items I've made into the inventory bin, I haven't been keen on selling them. I don't think they are perfect enough on the inside. I've serged as many seams as possible and used a triple zig-zag stitch on others. I know others use these seam finishes and are successful at selling their items. Something wants me to make the finish on my doll clothes different. 
The first question for me is what level do I want to take my doll sewing to. 

  • Serger and zig-zag 
  • Couture sewing only
  • Combination of both

As I have the Couture Sewing Academy, I will be focusing on couture seam finishes. I love the way clothing looks when the steps are taken to do couture work. 
I want to try french seams first. With that in mind, I watched the video on this topic. With my mind rolling about what I needed to do to achieve this, I thought about something that would be easy to do.
Which brought me to the second question; what do I want to sew next.
  • Modern (today's look)
  • Historical (1850's to 1880's, Edwardian, 1920's)
  • Whimsical
The 1850's to 1880's won out. I have a nice selection of patterns in this era that I can learn to do couture sewing on. With that decided upon, I have decided to work on undergarment for this era. I can easily do french seams on the drawers or pantalettes. 
McCalls 7227 OOP
I've decided to start with this pattern as it is fairly easy to sew. Though out of production (OOP), it can still be bought on Etsy. The goal is do the undergarments for this pattern, Kirsten's Pretty Clothes (free), and Thimble & Acorn's Victorian Unmentionables all of which I have. I feel I will have plenty of opportunity to learn how to do french seams. 
I will be starting this pattern shortly. I have assembled the pattern, fabric, lace all from the stash. Under the pattern is the pattern tracing pellon use. 
As I prepare the pattern, I will tutorial how I did each step to make the drawers with french seams. Join in if you wish. 
I haven't answered the last question but will be going over my inventory with a fine tooth comb to see how I am going to deal with it. 
Happy Doll Sewing.......................

No comments:

Post a Comment