Sunday, September 22, 2019

Take One - The Drawers

The first muslin for the drawers was sewn and there were a few issues. Most were operator issues. 

I added 1/4" seams to the the center front and back plus the leg seams. 1/4" french seams are too big for doll's clothing. 
Sewing all the seams but the center back were easy to do. The back created a problem as a fold showed up where it should have been flat. Good or bad? Who knows but I didn't like the look of it. 
The casing at the waist was to be sewn on with it folded in half and a raw edge showing. The raw edge would have to be finished. I put it on like a waist band to hide the raw edge. 

What Will I Do Next? Take Two


  • Cut the extra 1/4" seam allowances off the pattern. The french seams will be 1/8" wide rather than 1/4". 
  • Start with the back seam rather than the front.
    • Do the fold over piece first, then the seam. 
    • Do the center front seam next
  • Shorten the leg length first by pinning it up and making a decision. 
It would be very easy to go back to just finishing the seams with a zig-zag stitch or on the serger. But, I am to make the under clothes using french seams and working through how to do them with the patterns I have. 

Point of Interest

In researching drawers for children I have looked at a lot of pictures from the 1850's to 1890's. I looked at pictures of Anne of Green Gables movies and no drawers are shown. I'm sure children of that era living in PEI had drawers as the cold north wind blows down onto the province in the winter. I also looked for pictures of Laura Ingalls Wilder and there are none of her as a young child. But I did find a picture of the original cover of "On The Banks Of Plum Creek" and Laura and Mary's drawers are showing as they play in the Plum Creek. I guess these items were not readily displayed as they were known as "unmentionables".
Happy Doll Sewing.............................

No comments:

Post a Comment