Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Working On The Renaissance Era Outfit

 I am making progress on the Renaissance outfit. I have changed the buttons on the chemise (hemd) to fancy ones. They may come off and I may do a ribbon closure to make it more historically correct. 

The kirtle is complete. It seem to take forever to make as I was learning so much and trying to make it historically correct. I should never have put in the boning but what is done is done. I did do cartridge pleats and whip stitched them to the bodice. All I need to do it add the eyelets to the back and decorate the bodice and finish the rhinestones on the skirt. I need to buy both of them. 

Both pieces are historically correct but may never have been worn together. The hemd is German and I can find no trace of it being worn by the upper class in England. The working class yes as it made it easy to get on and off by yourself. The upper class would have worn a lower neckline chemise under the kirtle and a partlet with a ruffle at the neckline. The sleeves of the chemise may have had a ruffled cuff or partial sleeves would have been attached to the outer dress sleeves. 

The outer dress bodice has been started. So far I have sewn 16 pieces of fabric and still have about 9 more to go.  The pieces are small and fiddly but I am taking my time. 

I am ready to cut out the outer sleeves and sew them together. Then it will be sewing the sleeves and lining before attaching it to the outer bodice piece. I think this could be a bit stressful once I sew the side seams of the bodice together and turn it right side out. A lot of fabric to turn which isn't always fun to do. I will work slowly and carefully. 

At the speed the outer dress is going together, I may be done by mid May. My goal is the end of May but finishing sooner will be nice. 

Happy Doll Sewing.............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment