Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Looking At The Doll's Stash

 I have the next outfit on the cutting table. It is only pressed. The patterns are on the table also. I am working on other projects this week and I hope to start the doll's outfit next week. 

I spent almost an hour cleaning the closet. This closet is dubbed the doll's closet as most of what is in it is for the dolls. 

I have way more than what I need but I was going to make doll's clothes for sale. That is not going to happen now for several reasons. The main one is that I don't sew fast enough to have a lot of stock on hand to sell. The other reason is I don't like sewing single pieces I like to sew outfits and sometimes detailed outfits. 

I spent an afternoon with the two tubs full of cottons sorting through for the outfit I am wanting to make next. I pulled every single piece of fabric out and looked at each piece. I put aside about 12 meters which I have donated to a quilter's guild to use in charity quilts. What is left is still too much but there is sentimental attachment to most of it. I had the "I need to make this and this from these fabrics" syndrome. So they all went back into the tub. 

As I cleaned out the closet and handled the tubs I had to come to terms with this stash. I made an agreement with myself that I will continue to sew from these tubs until December 31 2024. After that, I will purge again and see what remains. I do know that the scraps of cotton fabric left from the sewing will go to the quilter's guild. That is a given. 

The trims and notions are not being purged at the moment. I am using them up when I sew. I haven't bought any trims or notions for well over a year. I dig until I find something suitable. I do buy thread in small spools and buttons if I need to. I'm okay with that as long as I've looked in the stash before I buy. I will probably purge the buttons and toss what I can't give to the thrift shop. 

I love to knit items for the dolls and have been using up what I have in the yarn stash. I'm okay with knitting expensive yarn for the dolls. It is slowly being used up. I knit more in the cooler weather than I do in the summer. I haven't bought a pattern for knitting for a long time as I have plenty of them on the iPad. When I knit the last of them, I will look at a pattern or two to keep me interested. 

I haven got a few doll patterns but mostly ones that are free. I am trying to sew up the patterns I have on hand (both pdf and paper). I may buy a few later on but I am refraining for now. 

The doll clothes I have made and kept will be looked at once again. I don't think there is much to purge but I do need to divide the outfits up either into eras or for each doll. I want each of my dolls to have a wardrobe as I may sell most of the AG dolls (I have 3 I want to keep). I will keep the Gotz dolls as I love them. But a doll purge won't happen until late 2024 at the earliest. 

Here is the fabric for this month's outfit. I truly do love it and am looking forward to starting it next week. 

And the shoes will be silver leather. This is real leather not faux leather. 

Happy Doll Sewing..........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment