Sunday, September 29, 2024

Sewing On The Bias

 I really enjoyed this month learning about sewing on the bias. I did make the dress. I learned a lot. The fabric I chose was a chambray and I could see the grain lines. Bonus to understanding more on the bias. 

I did cut out a facing for the dress and cut it on the grain. What I didn't realize was -- I should have lowered the neckline. I put in a 5" zipper and it is hard to get on the doll. I will do that adjustment before putting the pattern away. 

I sewed the dress using a tiny zig zag stitch (called lightening stitch) on the seams that needed some stretch. Seams like the shoulder seams were done in a straight stitch to stabilize them. The back seam was straight stitched where the zipper was inserted and lightening stitched below it. I even did the lightening stitch for the hem. 

When I put the dress on the doll, it looked boxy. My first thought was "all that work for a boxy dress". I walked away and looked at it the next day. The fabric was relaxing and the dress had a bit more shape to it. 

I sprayed the dress with water while on the doll and left it once again for a couple of days. I then measured the hem, cut it even and stitched it up. I still need to take a picture of the finished dress. Will do that today. 

I also started working on the Swedish dress. I measured down what I thought was 1/4" at the top of the godet. It was 3/8". First mistake. I fought with the godets in the front as they wouldn't lay properly. The tops bulged out when I sewed the seam. But wait, I wasn't to sew the seam. Oops!! I set the front aside in sheer frustration and worked on the back. Much better results following the written instruction. 

My last job was to unpick all the seams. Straight stitches and zig zag. I did it telling myself to own up to my mistake. I did it and gave all the pieces a good pressing. I was very careful as the godet sides are cut on the bias. 

I will start again on the front today. If all goes well, I hope to add the ruffle that goes from the top of the front godet to the top of the back godet. I promise I will read the instructions carefully. 

September's Sewing With Cinnamon's topic was a great one. I learned a lot about sewing on the bias by watching the videos and digging deeper into why you cut patterns on the bias the way you do. My free pattern is going to be this one.

I can cut it on the bias or the straight of grain. I know I will use this pattern a lot when sewing for the dolls. Not only the top but the dress length also. 

October's topic is All Things Barbie. I will watch and collect all the videos but am not sure what I will sew. I do have to finish the Swedish dress and do the Colonial Williamsburg outfit before the end of October. 

Happy Doll Sewing.............................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment