Sunday, February 25, 2024

The Woes Of February's Project

 February's Sewing With Cinnamon project has been frustrating hence why I haven't blogged about it. It put me into a tail spin and I was at a loss as what to do. 

The project is a chemise that has smocking at the neckline and wrists. I wanted to do French seams for a more couture look. I sewed them and when I put the chemise through the smocking pleater I had nothing but issues. I tried everything only to realize that some of the old needles were bent out of shape. 

I took the seams apart, put in new needles and successfully smocked the neckline. I looked at it each day and could not figure out how to do the French seams and get the under arm gusset in correctly. Though mentioned, it is not shown. Frustrating to say the least. 

I finally worked on the chemise yesterday and cut the extra 1/4" off that I had added for the French seams. I fray checked the seams so they won't fray. I snipped one thread but can fix that easily when I go to shape the neckline. A knot will work. 

I am now ready to sew the arm seams to where the gusset goes in. Once they are sewn, I can pull up the threads and shape the neckline on one of the dolls and start the smocking process. 

This project will not be done by the end of the month. There is still too much work to do on it. As March is about closures, I will work on the chemise in March so I can start the dress in April. 

I have to say that the information in the pattern is not complete. I had to watch one video twice to find the tiny bit of information I was looking for. The Facebook page has very little activity on the project. The page has questions asking about projects from the past (how to download the videos) and projects not related to Sewing With Cinnamon. 

I put what I have been doing on the FB page and it finally sparked some conversation from an experienced smocker and the designer. I wish that more people were posting their projects so we could have some lively discussions. We can learn from each other.

I will continue to make the projects that have been planned for this year and then decide if I will renew next year. I have been downloading the videos and getting the free materials for each course so I can go back and look at them if I decide to make them again. 

I will post my progress on the chemise as I do plan on finishing it. I do know how to smock which is going to be helpful. This will allow me to smock a bit quicker. On the up side, I will know how to pleat the sleeves with very few issues. 

Happy Doll Sewing..........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment