Sunday, September 17, 2023

Sewing With Scraps and Remnants

 I have been working with remnants and am enjoying it more than I thought I would. I usually stress when using left over fabrics for a project. I decided to let things flow and not worry about seeing if other pieces could be made from the fabric. 

The print fabric was the first on the cutting table. With careful planning and some left over white broadcloth, I was able to cut out a top and skirt. And, I have a scrap of the print left over. 

The top was sewn first and I lined it with broadcloth. I took my time as it is a sweetheart neckline. I really like this pattern without the sleeves added. I got it finished in 2 afternoons. 

My only issue - loosing a snap on the floor and having the wrong side on the part that overlaps. I finished it up in time to make dinner. Yes, there was some logger's language spoken. 

The skirt was made next. I got it ready to finish the back, tried it on the doll and you could see her panties. Not a good look. I cut out a lining from the white broadcloth and sewed up the skirt. I carefully sewed it to the skirt at the waist and folded the facing down to finish it. As I was getting the back seams ready to sew, we had a power surge (yes I was sewing during Hurricane Lee) and shut down the sewing room quickly. I did try the skirt on to take a picture. 

I just need to stitch down the back seems and sew on 3 snaps to complete this part of the outfit. The top and skirt took .8 meter of fabric to make including the lining for the skirt. I did a lot of squishing of the pattern pieces to to do this as I estimated 1 meter when looking at the patterns. 

Once done, I will start the jean jacket. I have a fair amount of fabric left and am wondering what to make with the left over piece. Another skirt? A pair of pants? I'm not sure as I need to see how much fabric is left after I cut out the jacket.  

I see I need to sweep the floor and take out the garbage that has collected under the cutting table. Today it will get done.

Happy Doll Sewing..........................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment