Sunday, June 26, 2022

S9438 - Regency Dress Begun

With the hot weather coming, it was time to start the Regency outfit so one of the dolls could walk the promenade. 

I chose to make my first Regency outfit using Simplicity 9438. 

View C was my choice as I wanted an overlay and plain sleeves. 


I knew exactly what fabric I was using for the dress; ivory satin that looks a bit like silk on the wrong side. The overlay was going to be a bit of a mystery as I needed to dig in the tub of fancy fabrics to see what I had. 

As I was looking/digging for the satin, I found a piece of lace left over from a doll's wedding dress made in May 2017. It was a piece left over from the center as I had used the border for the skirt of the dress. It had a few embroidered flowers on it and was perfect for the overlay.

But, did I have enough? Out came the pattern and I had enough with some scraps left over for later on. 

I decided to make the overlay first. I carefully cut out the skirt and bodice pieces and started to sew it up. A lot of time was spent basting a 1/4" to turn over to finish the arm holes, neckline, front and hem. The white thread showed but I was prepared. Trim I was gifted was perfect for edging the openings and hem. 

I carefully prick stitched the trim onto the overlay and the end result was as I had hoped for. I closed the front with a hook and eye.

Other than a good pressing, it was done. 

I started the dress yesterday. The pattern was traced onto pellon tracing material and then the pieces were cut out. 

The bodice was done first. After 2 false starts of sewing the wrong sides of the back to the right side of the front on both the outer bodice and lining, I got the shoulder seams done. I next stitched the neckline, clipped the curves, turned it right side out and pressed it well. Onto the doll it went and, of course, I had to see how the flowers cut from the overlay would look. 

The overlay covered up the flowers.

I fiddled around until I got something I liked but am not sure if I will be putting them on the dress. 


The next step is to serge the side and back seams of the bodice and the side seams of the sleeves (they are lined). I can then attach the sleeves, sew the side seams and the bodice will be done. Next will be the skirt.

So far I am enjoying this pattern. I have taken it one stitch at a time and am pleased with the results so far. I need to cut a piece of bias so I can cover the waist seam as I'm not a fan of exposed/serged waist seams. It is just me. And I have plenty of fabric left as I started out with 2 meters of the satin. 

Happy Doll Sewing..............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment