Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Make Do With What I Have

The last year I was working, I purchased quite a bit of fabric for the dolls. It was called inventory. I was also given several pieces to add to the inventory. And it fills 4 tubs. As I sewed doll outfits to display in the store, I got some patterns and I bought more when they came on sale. I also got a lot of free patterns from Pixie Faire through their Freebie Friday and pattern testing. Add lace and buttons and I'm set for quite a while. 
Though not full here, the closet is now full and 80% is for the dolls. 
Though I love looking and buying fabric for the dolls I am learning that I must

MAKE DO WITH WHAT I HAVE

Use up what fabric I have on hand. 

  • I really wanted to make this dress with new fabric but I hunted through the stash, found the fabric, matching ribbon and thread and started the dress. Another search found the lace trim that I added. It actually turned out better than I had thought. 



  • Use up the whole piece of fabric. Having it sit on the shelf or in a tub means I have to come back to it again. It is still stash. While the fabric was perking in my mind, I finished sewing it up. I only purchased the white cotton eyelet for the skirt. I now have that fabric gone and two doll outfits in the inventory tub. 

Pattern Alterations and Hacks

  • Oh Sew Kat got me thinking in this direction when she added lace to her Four Season skirt pattern. I am looking at adding a different fabric instead of lace to give a coordinating look to an outfit. And tulle could be added underneath. Several different looks from one pattern. 
  • Using a bodice as a top. I took the bodice from Butterick  6265 and lengthened it 1/2". I'd like to add 3/4" the next time. I made the bodice the same as I usually do to make a dress. I serged the bottom edge and turned it up less than 1/4" for a finished edge. Perfect to go with this skirt. At this length, I can add a 2.5" gathered peplum as Oh Sew Kat did for one of her dresses. Or I can draft one from the course I took. That will all happen. 

Conclusion

  • If you need patterns buy them. I have well over 100 patterns in my inventory and I need to focus on using them. This doesn't mean I won't be buying more patterns as I will be. What I'm trying to do is sew more of the patterns I have.
  • It is nice to have a small inventory of doll fabrics and trims. Having as much as I do has put me over my stress threshold. Also, I bought a lot of .5 meter (20") lengths and I am realizing they are not enough for some of the patterns I have acquired. I have to think basic once again but I'm happy with that. When I buy, I now pair a pattern to the fabric and it remains as that. 
This is a brief plan of what I am doing at this moment. It is making me think hard about a lot of things. Thank you Oh Sew Kat for making me think outside of my mindset.
Happy Doll Sewing.......................................

No comments:

Post a Comment