Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Gloves For The Regency Era Outfit

I am now slowly working on completing the Regency Era Dress so it is another complete outfit. 

The pattern is Simplicity 9438. I made a pair of shoes to go with it which I put on tear drop pearls. They were the third pair of shoes I made. They aren't perfect as I've figured out a few more tricks since then. 

When done, I knew I wanted to add more to this outfit so it was complete. I am on a mission to have a stole, parasol, gloves, and pantaloons (not era correct). I did a lot of searching and found a pattern for the parasol. I started it and there will be more on it later. 

The next search was for gloves and I found them here. I had to figure out how to get them to print at 100% as the square was 3/4" in size not 1" when printed. I enlarged the pattern to 115% when printing and then 104% (twice) at the printer to get the correct size. 

The designer has a video on how she makes them which is at the bottom of the pattern. Video 3 tells how to make them with stretch fabric. 

I bought children's size knee high socks for the fabric. I spent a couple of weeks thinking about sewing these socks as I had other commitments and needed to think what I would use for a needle and thread when making them. I finally made them yesterday. 

    Use a 60/8 microtex needle. These are sharp and great to sew knits with. 

    Use a good quality thread. I used Glide thread but other brands can be used. I wouldn't recommend cotton thread but I would try silk thread. 

    I cut the cuff off the socks I bought and then cut the length to 6". I then cut the tube open so I had a piece of fabric. I put the right sides together after sewing down the hem and pinned the pattern on with 6 pins. I removed the pins and put them back in after I stitched an area to keep the pattern secured on the fabric.

    When sewing down the hem, I turned 1/4" under and stitched in the middle. On the next pair, I will trim the raw edge back to the stitching. The hem did stretch and I steamed it so it would shrink back into shape. It sort of complied. 

    I did the first pair with just a straight stitch and would recommend you use a stretch stitch. Though I had no skipped stitches I was worried about the thread breaking when putting on the gloves. If you use a straight stitch, sew the seam twice for extra strength. I didn't and I'm now worried about the seam coming open as I take them off and put them on the dolls. 

    Sew slowly around the pattern as she shows in the video. I started at the hemmed edge and worked to the thumb. It was easier for me. I spent a lot of time on the curves taking 1 -2 stitches and adjusting the foot so I was close to the pattern. Trim as the designer shows on the video. 

    When turning the glove right side out, I used the rounded end of my bamboo turning tool to smooth out the hand and the pointed end for the thumb. 

A couple of good chuckles has ensued. While looking for a stole pattern I discovered the pattern I used for the dress has both the stole and gloves patterns included. I may trace the gloves onto paper and try them at a later date. Searching for the gloves allowed me to see how one designer made her gloves. It is a good tutorial and gave me the confidence to make these gloves. I'm ready to make the second pair this afternoon. 

I will be making the stole a bit later on as I have other sewing to do. I'll be using the Simplicity pattern for it. The parasol has been started and set aside as I'm testing a pattern for a designer and have socks to finish. I'm not in a rush to finish this outfit as I'm enjoying the process. 

Happy Doll Sewing................................................ 

No comments:

Post a Comment